What to do if you’re struck by a hit and run driver

If you or a loved one is struck by a hit-and-run driver, you might feel hopeless. Even though, Pennsylvania automobile laws require anyone involved in a car collision to stop, exchange license and insurance information, and render reasonable assistance to anyone injured in the collision. (75 Pa.C.S. §3742 and §3743), the person who caused the collision all too often flees the scene,. The injured party has with no way to make a claim against the other driver for things like pain and suffering, wage loss, and medical bills. Because the other driver left the scene of the collision, many people think there is no way they can be compensated for their damages.

Fortunately, if you are hurt by a hit and run driver, your own insurance company will provide some help. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage on your automobile policy will pay for your initial medical bills. The Pennsylvania minimum of PIP coverage is $5,000, but you can purchase a higher amount.

In addition, uninsured motorist coverage protects you if you’re hurt by someone who doesn’t have car insurance. This includes a hit and run driver. Uninsured motorist coverage allows you to recover for your pain and suffering, wage loss, and medical bills, even if the driver that caused the collision left the scene and was never found. Because uninsured motorist coverage is not mandatory, it is important to make sure you have sufficient coverage for you and your family.

There are strict requirements for reporting an uninsured motorist claim involving a hit and run driver. You must report the accident to the police (or proper government authority) and notify your insurer within thirty (30) days of the collision. 

It is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney if you are injured in a hit and run collision. An attorney will make sure that the claim is properly reported and collect all relevant forms from your insurance company so that you do not lose your right pursue to the full amount of coverage available. If you’ve been hurt in a car collision, contact the attorneys at Warren McGraw & Knowles to protect your rights and get the compensation that you deserve.